Prestonpans ( Scottish Gaelic: Baile an t-Sagairt) is a small fishing town, situated approximately eight miles east of Edinburgh, Scotland, in the unitary council area of East Lothian. The population as of 2016 is
10,410. It is near the site of the 1745 Battle of Prestonpans (first called the Battle of Gladsmuir, then renamed the Battle of Tranent, and later still renamed the Battle of Prestonpans – although evidence shows the battle occurred a few miles outside of town). The town, established in the eleventh century, has a variety of important historical architecture, including: Preston Tower and the doocot and the local Mercat Cross, which is the only one of its kind in Scotland which remains in its original form and location. Prestonpans is “Scotland’s Mural Town”, with many murals depicting local history.