Wellingborough ( WEL-ing-bər-ə) is a large market town in North Northamptonshire, England, 11 miles (18 km) from Northampton on the north side of the River Nene.
Originally named “Wendelingburgh” (the stronghold of Wændel’s people), the Anglo-Saxon settlement is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as “Wendelburie”. The town was granted a royal market charter in 1201 by King John.
At the 2011 census, the town had a population of 49,128. The former Borough Council of Wellingborough had its offices in the town centre. The town is twinned with Niort in France, and with Wittlich in Germany.