South Normanton is a village and civil parish in the Bolsover District of Derbyshire, England. The population at the 2011 Census (including Upper Birchwood) was 9,445. An ex-mining village, it is located two miles east of Alfreton and is approximately 510 feet above sea level at one of its highest points, near St. Michael and All Angels Parish Church. The historic industries of the village were agriculture, stocking, spinning and mining. Normanton means ‘the farm of the north men’ or ‘Northwegans’. It was a purely agricultural settlement but added tanning as a secondary industry during medieval times, using the bark of the oak and birch, both plentiful in the area. In the 18th and 19th centuries, the main industries were framework knitting and mining. The knitters, or shiners as they were known from the state of their trouser seats after a 14-hour day sitting at their machines, tended to live in certain areas, around the Dog Pool, along Water Lane and particularly up the narrow alleys around the Old Market place. South Normanton Colliery closed in 1952, B Winning in 1964 and A Winning in 1969. Carnfield Hall was for several centuries the seat of the Revel family. The hall contains a varied collection of antique furniture, porcelain and glass, family portraits and much more. It is now a family home shown to the public by the present owners. The township also includes the housing estate of Broadmeadows although the housing estate is divided between the parishes of South Normanton and Pinxton. South Normanton is also home to the East Midlands Designer Outlet.